- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp plus a pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 medium apples, peeled, cored, quartered then diced
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup fat free sour cream
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. Whisk together, sugar, flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg in a medium bowl. Add diced apples, tossing to coat.
3. Whisk together eggs, yogurt and butter in a small bowl. Gently fold the liquid mixture into the flour mixture until just combined. Don't overmix or muffins will be tough. Divide batter among muffin/cupcake liners inside a standard muffin tin.
4. In a small bowl, mix brown sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle a little of the mixture over the top of each muffin.
5. Bake until muffins are brown around edges and spring back when touched, 16-18 minutes. Remove muffin pan to a rack to cool for a bout 5 minutes. The, turn out muffins onto a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature. Store muffins in an an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days. Or freeze in a plastic container for longer storage.