Low Fat Strawberry Shortcake
- 2 1/4 cups AP flour
- 1/2 cup sugar (I used Splenda)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter (I used slightly less)
- 3/4 cup low fat buttermilk
- light or fat free whipped topping (optional)
- sliced fresh strawberries
1. Preheat oven to 450F.
2. Slice strawberries into thin slices and add 1/4 - 1/2 cup sugar (I used Splenda) and let macerate in the fridge.
3. Whisk dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Cut in butter using pastry blender under mixture resembles coarse crumbs, Make a well in the center and add the buttermilk. Stir until just moist.
4. Turn out the dough onto a nonstick mat or floured surface. Knead gently 2 or 3 times then flatten or roll to a 3/4 in thickness. Bake on a nonstick baking sheet for 12 minutes or until golden, Cool on a wire rack.
5. When cool, slice shortcake in half crosswise. Top with strawberries (and whipped topping if you'd like).