Happy Friday <3!
In honor of this weekend...yes, I baked a cake -- ha, ha!!
Yesterday was a "rest day" for me so I took Smalls out for an hour walk and when I came back I went ahead and started on dinner and dessert. I've wanted to try this recipe from Flat Belly Diet Cookbook and yesterday was the day.
Super Rich Chocolate Cake with Maple Frosting
1 cup sugar
1 cup canola mayonnaise
1 up buttermilk
1 tbsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 cup AP flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 cup maple syrup
3 egg whites
12 tsp. cream of tartar
1. Preheat the oven to 350F. Spray 2 round cake pans with cooking spray.
2. Beat the sugar and mayonnaise in a large bowl with an electric mixer at medium speed until well blended. Beat in the buttermilk and vanilla extract. Add the pastry flour, AP flour cocoa, baking soda, and salt and beat until just blended.
3. Spread the batter into the pans. Bake for 45 minutes or until wooden pick comes out clean. Place the pans on a rack and let cool completely.
4. To prepare the frosting: Combine the syrup, egg whites and cream of tartar in the top of a double boiler. Beat with an electric mixer until well blended. Place over rapidly boiling water. Beat for 7 minutes or until stiff peaks form. Remove the top of the double boiler from the water and continue to beat for another 5 minutes or until thickened and fluffy.
5. Place 1 cake layer on a serving plate. Spread 1 cup of the frosting over the cake. Top with the second layer. Spread the remaining frosting over the top and sides of the cake.