Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Anew Start

Pin It
Good afternoon!    Gosh, the day's almost done..going by so quickly.

Well my day started with Shoulders/Arms and Ab Ripper X from P90x. This is probably going to be my last week of doing P90x (3 weeks shy of 90 days) since I'm starting my training for upcoming runs (May 1st and May 14th). I'll do my "review" of the P90x program soon after.

After a shower and gathering the essentials, I headed to Anew Rejuvenation Center  after purchasing a Groupon for a 2 hour detoxifying session. The spa is about 40 minutes away from our home but I made it there on time.
My SIL actually joined me and we were both excited to get our "detoxification" ON.

The first session was a whole body vibration training (Vibrolage). It was *interesting* and I actually liked it. You stand barefoot on a Vibrolage machine and let it do the work for you. The idea is that the variable frequency vibrations provide a continuous stretch reflex in your muscles. Benefits include burning fat and improving sleep, increases metabolism and energy, increases blood circulation, improves sports performance, loss of inches through core muscle strengthening, among others. (Normally costs $25 for a 10 minute session)

Then we had our detoxifying foot bath. It's supposed to enhance and amplify the ability of the body to heal itself. It generates an energy field that creates a bio-charge that resonates through the water, which then allows toxins to be drawn out of the body through the feet. It was about 30 minutes while we sat in these super-comfy massage chairs and sipped teas. (Normally costs $35 per session)
                       

They had a "cheat sheet" of the water color and toxins being removed...apparently, mine had elements from the liver, fat waste and cellular debris. I also had a few metals in there : iron, copper (?)

Our last session was the longest ~ 40 minutes in the Far Infrared Sauna. Detoxification from a far infrared sauna is supposedly 7-10x more effective than a conventional sauna because it operates at temps 60-80 degrees lower than a conventional sauna. As the body cools itself, there's a substantial increase in heart rate, cardiac output and metabolic rate. It can supposedly burn 200-600 calories. You sweat out 20% toxins and 80% water (vs. 3% toxins and 97% water in a conventional sauna). (Normally $20 per 35 minutes session)

Overall, I'm glad I tried it. I don't know very much about medical spas and alternative therapy but for a 2 hour detox sesh for $20 bucks ~ I say, you can't beat that! Not sure if I'd pay full price for the services, though. They recommend going for weekly sessions but I don't see myself driving 40 minutes for the services either.

This was my snack afterwards...

I gotta get dinner going before hubby comes home.

Have you ever been to a medical spa? What services did you do?


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...