Super Moist Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
(adapted from Skinnytaste.com)
Calories: 219 per serving (original recipe) * less with my tweaking*
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup Splenda
- 1/4 cup flaked sweetened coconut
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1/2 cup Egg Beaters
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups grated carrots, peeled
- 20 oz. can crushed pineapple in juice, drained
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts plus 1/4 cup for topping
For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 8 oz Weight Watchers cream cheese
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine flour, Splenda, coconut, baking soda, salt, and spices; stir well with a whisk.
2. In a medium bowl, combine oil, Egg Beaters, and vanilla; stir well. Add grated carrots and pineapple; mix well. Fold wet ingredients with the dry ingredients, batter will be stiff and dry but keep folding it and it will all come together. Fold in 1/4 cup chopped nuts.
3. Spoon batter into an 8" x 3" cake pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for about 40-50 minutes, depending on pan size or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and cake is pulling away from sides of pan. Cool cake completely on a wire rack.
4. To prepare frosting, beat together cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth. Spread frosting over top of cake. Garnish with remaining chopped walnuts.
I've found the best carrot cake recipe and I'm definitely going to make this one again.. and again!