Every now and then I like having eggs for dinner.
...how about pancakes for dinner? Mmmmmm.
The other night, it was Green Chile and Cheddar Strata for dinner!
- 5 slices whole wheat bread - quartered
- 1 (4 oz.) can mild green chiles, drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 cups skim milk
- 2 large eggs
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 tsp hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
1. Spray a 2 quart baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Arrange the bread pieces in the dish, overlapping slightly; scatter the green chiles, cheddar, scallions and cilantro on top.
2. Whisk together the milk, eggs, egg whites, pepper sauce, salt, pepper in a medium bowl until blended. Pour evenly over the bread, let stand covered, for at least an hour or refrigerate up to overnight.
3. Preheat oven to 350F.
4. Bake the strata until puffed and golden and a knife inserted into the center comes out clean, about 40-45 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes; serve hot or warm.
On a sad note...this is what came up to as I pulled into the gym yesterday morning......
..the apartment complex located right on the corner was on fire! The fire trucks came a few seconds after I pulled into the parking lot.
45 people apparently were displaced and affected ☹. There are reports that a cigarette started the fire but they are still investigating. Another reason to stop smoking, eh? So many people from the community responded and have donated items to the Red Cross to help those affected..so much so that one donation center is *full* and will stop taking donations after today.
Sorry to end on a sad note....
Many errands on the to-do list today and I'm off to run my 9 miles this morning....stay safe!