Friday, August 19, 2011

Runner's Knee

Pin It
Hiiii friends!!!! Happy Friday! 

So today I was scheduled to do a 40 minute tempo run. I felt good after the first 15 minutes but afterwards, my right left knee started to bother me. So much so that I had to back off a bit and walk a few times. It was a combination of discomfort and pain. I was able to finish 40 minutes but had to considerably decrease my speed.

It's my own fault and I know it. We (I) .. subject our bodies through so much and I push myself a lot of times up to my physical limits. Most of the time, my body cooperates....but today, it caught up to me. 

Yesterday when I tackled my first 10 mile-r (in a while), I started to feel some discomfort on my right left knee post run. I should've iced it and maybe I should've taken some ibuprofen, too but I didn't.

What I did do was make a *protein green monster* afterwards, 
....and did a lot of stretching and foam rolling ....
I felt fine the whole day without any knee issues whatsoever. So I chucked up the whole right left knee pain to, of course, the increase in mileage and duration of my run.

Up until this morning when I started my tempo run and the right left knee pain came back even worse.
I thought I've been doing everything right when it came to training such as:
  • Running on a softer surface
  • Gradually increasing hill work.
  • Proper shoes.
  • Strength training including quads.
  • Stretching including hamstrings and calves
  • Avoiding >10% increase in mileage every week.
But what I haven't done is: 

Avoid back-to-back runs!

So I have "Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome (PFPS) or Runner's Knee". It is one of the most common running injuries and I need to nip it in the bud. In my case, it's brought on by overuse or overactivity. It is characterized by the kneecap (or patella) tracking along the groove of the femur which leads to irritation of the cartilage on the underside of the kneecap. Fortunately it is self-limiting and temporary.
I'm going to have to revise my training plan in order to fit 4 runs in every week but not run on back-to back days.

After today's run....I did the RICE thingy...

R-rest
I-ice
C-compression
E-elevation

I'm gonna take it easy for next couple of days and cuddle with this guy..

...hopefully by Sunday or Monday, I should be good to go... fingers crossed!

Something to read:



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...