Thursday, August 25, 2011

Smile (Though your Heart is Breaking)

Pin It
Whoa! It's Thursday already? How's everyone doing?

I figure I'd update you on my left knee issue. I have NOT done any kind of "training run" since 6 days ago. I have, however, done STEP, PUMP and ATTACK without much issues as part of my classes at the gym as cross training. I have continued to *rest*, ice, elevate and use ibuprofen (sparingly).

So 2 days ago, I decided to do a *test run* by doing 2-3 miles of a walk/run. Unfortunately, it was more of a "walk" than a run. About 5 minutes into it, my knee started throbbing so I had to back off again and call it good.

The good thing is.....

My knee doesn't click, or pop. I don't have problems going down stairs and never feel like the knee is going to give out. It is not swollen or red.

The bad thing is....

I do start feeling the pain when I start the repetitive motion of running combined with the pounding on the ground (no matter if it's the "mill", asphalt or pavement).

Here's what else I've done besides RICE.

I have fairly new running shoes and I've started using OTC orthotics (thanks to hubby~FREE).


I've also started using a knee brace to keep the knee stable and avoid tracking issues (Pro-Tec brand $20).

I'm doing strengthening exercises for the quads: (Strong quads/VMO = strong knees)


Did you know that female athletes tend to have an increased risk of knee injuries compared to male athletes?


I have a doc appointment this afternoon. Hopefully, he could check my running form, my footwear and shed some light/give me other ways to help my knee and maybe (?) I could still do the HM in 3 weeks. If not, I will be disappointed but it won't be the end of the world.

In the meantime, I'm going to do some spinning this morning with hopes that I can keep up my cardio fitness.

Day 4 - 21 day challenge

Tip: Smile more often - you release serotonin which is the happy hormone. Happiness leads to smiles, smiles also lead to happiness.

Did you smile today?



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...