I've always liked zucchini bread. It's an alternative to the *regular* banana bread that we have most of the time. So it wasn't a surprise that I jumped on this recipe as soon as I discovered it.
Lemon-Zucchini Bread [adapted from No Meat Athlete]
2 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
4 tbs flax seed, ground
1 tbs baking soda1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
3 cups shredded zucchini (about 2-3 medium)
1 cup drained crushed pineapple,
1/4 cup juice reserved
1/2 cup canola oil
3/4 cup raw sugar
2 lemons, zested and juiced (about 6-8 tbs of juice)
1 tsp powdered sugar, for optional garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix together the dry ingredients, set aside. Pour the pineapple, pineapple juice, oil, sugar, lemon zest, and lemon juice over the shredded zucchini and stir together. Mix the dry ingredients into the zucchini mixture.
3. Spray a tube or Bundt pan with Pam and toss with flour to coat. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 40-45 minutes.
(Instead of a Bundt pan, you can use two 8×4 loaf pans or one 9×5 loaf pan). Recommended bake time of 50-60 minutes for the smaller sizes and 70 to 80 minutes for the larger size but start checking after 30 minutes especially if you're using eggs.
4. When it's done the top should be domed and cracking in the center while the edges pull away from the sides. Check to see if a knife comes out clean. If the top is browning too much before the center is done, cover loosely with aluminum foil.
5. When the cake is cool, invert to unmold.
6. Put the teaspoon of powdered sugar in a fine mesh strainer and gently tap over the bread to garnish.