Tuesday, February 14, 2012

A Strong Bond

Pin It
When I was young, I thought about love and meeting the man of my dreams, getting married and living happily ever after. I'm living that dream every day!

But what does love really mean? 


I know that it's caring for that person with all my heart. Unconditional love -- for all the good and the bad parts. I think about that person all the time --- what they may be doing or if they're having a bad day. I love spending time with that person even if it's doing nothing. We could just be talking, watching TV or going for a walk. I'd like to hear what they've been up to, what their plans are for the future and hope that I could be there to realize it with that person. It's also the small things -- a note or a text to say "I love you"....... a hug .......  holding my hand ........  laughing together.

I never thought I could love much more until I became a mother. The love I have for my daughter is certainly different yet very similar in many ways to the one I have for my husband. I held my daughter so tightly when she was born and didn't loosen my grip for years. My only child. All these years I've watched her grow --- with my own unspoken dreams and wishes for her. Every time she fell, I felt the pain that only a mother could understand. And even now, I continue to be challenged and surprised everyday. I miss her now that she's away but I also delight in her independence.

We've had mistakes and disappointments in the past, after all, we are only human and imperfect. Time has a way of healing.  If you truly love someone, whatever adversity you encounter eventually can be overcome by love. I want to continue to be there when we reach a crossroad especially during the important moments. I believe in building back trust, finding our inner strength and belief in ourselves to carry us through.
So if you ask me what love is....

I say... through the good, the bad, the joy and the sorrow... love does not give up. It is all the sacrifices that we have chosen to bear in order for our loved one to have a better tomorrow. Love is always there and with each suffering also comes overcoming.



Words to live by:


The turning point in the process of growing up is when you discover the core of strength within you that survives all hurt.  
~Max Lerner, The Unfinished Country, 1950




Happy Valentine's Day!






No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...