Thursday, August 23, 2012

Blueberry coffee cake

Pin It

I need some extra motivation this morning ☹. Or maybe I just need a rest day --- and soon

I've been subbing a lot at work because of vacations and such. Which means I'm having to work around my HM training. My race is in 4 weeks and having to up my mileage in addition to fitness classes have been a little much...

I'm glad we have date night tonight...well sorta. We're meeting up with some friends at Twigs and it's always nice to have a mid-week pick-me-up.

The other day, I was in the mood for coffee cake and since I still had blueberries, I found THIS recipe and decided to try it. Some coffee cakes can be very rich and calorie-laden. So having to substitute a few ingredients really worked out for me.
Blueberry Coffee Cake
Ingredients:

  • 4 Tbsp unsalted butter  + 4 Tbsp Smart balance, room temperature
  • 2 tsp lemon zest or more - zest from 1 large lemon
  • 1/2 cup sugar + 1/4 cup sugar substitute (I used Apriva)
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2 cups AP flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp kosher salt
  • 2 cups fresh blueberries
  • 1/2 cup fat free buttermilk

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Cream butter with lemon zest and sugar until light and fluffy.

2. Add the egg and vanilla and beat until combined. Meanwhile, toss the blueberries with 1/4 cup of flour, then whisk together the remaining flour, baking powder and salt.

3. Add the flour mixture to the batter a little at a time, alternating with the buttermilk. Fold in the blueberries.

4. Grease a 9-in square baking pan (or something similar) with non-stick spray. Spread batter into pan. Bake for 35 minutes. Check with wooden toothpick for doneness.  Let cool at least 15 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with powdered sugar (optional).

Now I gotta run 6 miles....
Happy hump day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...