I need some extra motivation this morning ☹. Or maybe I just need a rest day --- and soon!
I've been subbing a lot at work because of vacations and such. Which means I'm having to work around my HM training. My race is in 4 weeks and having to up my mileage in addition to fitness classes have been a little much...
I'm glad we have date night tonight...well sorta. We're meeting up with some friends at Twigs and it's always nice to have a mid-week pick-me-up.
The other day, I was in the mood for coffee cake and since I still had blueberries, I found THIS recipe and decided to try it. Some coffee cakes can be very rich and calorie-laden. So having to substitute a few ingredients really worked out for me.Blueberry Coffee Cake
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter + 4 Tbsp Smart balance, room temperature
- 2 tsp lemon zest or more - zest from 1 large lemon
- 1/2 cup sugar + 1/4 cup sugar substitute (I used Apriva)
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups AP flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup fat free buttermilk
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Cream butter with lemon zest and sugar until light and fluffy.
2. Add the egg and vanilla and beat until combined. Meanwhile, toss the blueberries with 1/4 cup of flour, then whisk together the remaining flour, baking powder and salt.
3. Add the flour mixture to the batter a little at a time, alternating with the buttermilk. Fold in the blueberries.
4. Grease a 9-in square baking pan (or something similar) with non-stick spray. Spread batter into pan. Bake for 35 minutes. Check with wooden toothpick for doneness. Let cool at least 15 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with powdered sugar (optional).
Now I gotta run 6 miles....