Apple Brownies (adapted from Martha Stewart)
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 cup AP flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup organic sugar ( I substituted with Splenda)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 large firm, sweet apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2 in" cubes
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease an 8 x 1 inch baking dish
2. Whisk together flour, cinnamon, baking powder, salt and baking soda in a medium bowl. In a separate bowl, beat together, butter, sugar, and egg with a mixer until pale, about 2 minutes.
3. Add walnuts and apples, and stir by hand until combined. Add flour mixture, and stir until combined, about 30 seconds more.
4. Spread batter in pan, and bake until golden brown and slightly firm about 40 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack 30 minutes, then cut into 12 bars.
Bars can be stored in an airtight container up to 5 days.