Monday, March 18, 2013

Rock N' Roll USA (Washington DC)

Pin It
Hi there ☺! 
I'm back after a quick trip to Washington DC.
Hubby had a meeting to go to while I ran the Rock N' Roll Half Marathon.
We got in Thursday night after a long flight from the West coast. We stayed at the JW Marriot hotel which is right on Pennsylvania Ave in downtown DC.

The rooms were small but  nevertheless comfortable.
And you can't beat the view from our window.
Washington monument
Freedom  Plaza
Street view
The hotel elevators were pretty cool, you just enter the floor you're going to and it tells you which elevator to take [non-stop].


As soon as we got settled, we walked a block to have Happy Hour at The Hamilton.


It was weird to see everyone in suits and ties.

Half off sushi during happy hour.

Since it was still light outside, we took advantage and went for a quick stroll down the street. 
Treasury Department
Smithsonian American Art Museum
Chinatown 


The following day, we took the Metro to the Armory where the Expo was held so that I can pick up my bib and all kinds of goodies.

And lunch was at the Capitol City Brewing Company where it was pretty crowded with more people in suits and ties.
We went back to the hotel to rest and watch some basketball hoops.
Dinner that night was at a local Thai restaurant called Haad Thai. We shared an appetizer and phad thai since we were still pretty full from lunch {and non-stop carbo-loading}.
The next morning was the race. Weather was forecasted to rain all day but it started out in the 40's (warmer than the last couple of days we've been there). 30,000 expected runners.
Starting line
I had lots of layers on in anticipation of the freezing temps.

It turned out, the weather cooperated with no rain throughout the race at all. I took my gloves, jacket and hat off around mile 4. There was one steep hill around mile 6 but otherwise, the course was pretty flat. My knees also cooperated since there weren't many downhill portions.
It also took a while to get through the post-race *maze* since everyone was moving so stinkin' slow ---- trying to get their medals, drinks and FOOD!

But hubby and I managed to find each other and we took the Metro back to the hotel to rest and shower.
Linner was at Gordon Biersch Brewery Restaurant, we got 10% off our bill for showing my "race bib".
I was so in the mood to chow down *greasy food*.
After lunch, we just walked around the corner to check out Ford's Theater where Lincoln was shot.

We spent the rest of the night back in the hotel, watching basketball hoops until we fell asleep.

My flight the next morning was very early, I had to leave the hotel around 6 am.
Largest soy latte to wake me up!
 It was another loooong flight -- almost 6 hours non-stop to Seattle and then another hour to Spokane.
Guess, who was waiting to cuddle???

I finished my sixth half-marathon in 2:02:48 (better than my time in 2012). Overall, I really enjoyed the RNR race, very well organized, great Expo and the atmosphere was FUN! I would definitely do the DC race again but maybe next time, spend more time to explore the city.

How did you spend your weekend? 


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...