Thursday, March 10, 2011

Running Derailed

Pin It
Hi guys! How's your Thursday?

Remember when my right hip started hurting about 4 weeks ago? Well since then it has been better and tolerable. I've used my foam roller consistently, applied ice after workouts, and have taken non-steroidal anti-inflammatories on an as needed basis BUT I've never allowed it to completely heal because of group fitness classes that I teach.

Yesterday was my first day to run again since December and since it was pouring rain/snow mix, I decided to use the treadmill at the gym to do 4 miles (per my training schedule).

Holy crap! I had to walk at least 4x during the 47 minute 4 mile run because of my right side/hip hurting like h$#@!!
When I got home, the pain was "pretty bad" but not severe enough to go to the ER. I know for sure that it's not a joint or a bone but more muscle because it would hurt even if I just "coughed".
So after hubby consulted a sports medicine doc, he believes I have a bruised/sprained oblique muscle,  located near the lower part of the rib cage. It can be commonly misdiagnosed as a bruised hip because of its proximity to the hip bone. Treatment: NO activities that aggravate it! Meaning NO running, NO core or abdominal work.

I'm pretty sure I "pulled" that muscle and just never allowed it to heal. It requires rest and giving it a break for several consecutive days in addition to icing and not challenging it until it seems to have healed (again... I have NOT done).

It is very difficult especially when I have a training schedule laid out BUT if I don't allow it to heal, it may become chronically inflamed.

So I am resting today and tomorrow but I have 3 more GF classes to teach before I travel next week. I will see how it goes and if pain is too much, I will have to ask someone to sub for my classes. Then I will have several days to rest without classes, teaching or training.

Honestly, I'm NOT sure if I can even do the races I've planned on signing up for. Oh well, I have to listen to my body and do what's best for it. It's the only one I've got and I have to treat it with care and respect!




It is very disappointing to actually come to the realization that I can't push myself to my limits (at least for now). Can you relate?



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...